At Absolute Commercial Roofing in Loveland, we help our customers understand why you need commercial roof maintenance and repair. Your building’s roof is simultaneously your first line of defense against nature’s forces and a very vulnerable part of your building. It’s exposed daily to the elements, and over time, this exposure is bound to cause wear and tear on your roof. This makes regular maintenance vital and repairs an absolute must.
Check for Signs
Regular commercial roof inspections will help you identify potential problem spots ahead of real roof trouble. Look at your roof on the outside but also look around inside your building. When looking inside, check for water stains on the ceiling or use your sense of smell to check for mold or mildew odors. It may also make sense to hire a professional, such as Absolute Commercial Roofing, particularly if your roof is not easily accessible to you or if it could be potentially dangerous. A professional can make sure that the inspection is done safely, but also correctly.
Signs of Potential Trouble
- Water: One of the things to check for on your roof is prolonged pools of standing water. Prolonged ponding on your roof can prematurely age your roof and create quick deterioration. Ponding can weaken some types of roofing material faster than others and can create roof leaks in even the most durable materials. Also, excessive water on your roof can actually ruin the roof deck due to substantial additional weight.
- Bubbles: A bubble under the material that covers your commercial roof can be an indicator of trapped moisture. This can lead to future leaks. Bubbles can also reduce the lifespan of your roof and prematurely age the deck of your roof. A roof with bubbles is not as effective and protective in storms. Aside from trapped water, bubbling can be an indicator of trapped gases. A moisture survey or roof cut can help diagnose the source of the bubbles which will help identify a potential solution.
- Roof Flashing Gaps: It is important to check all of the flashing on the roof for gaps, cracks, wear, or cracking seams. The flashing is installed around all the rooftop equipment and the edges where the roofing material meets the wall. Gaps and cracks increase chances that a commercial roof will fail in high winds or develop mold or leaks. Regular maintenance can catch gaps early.
- Loose Lightning System: If you have a lightning protection system, it is important that it also be inspected regularly. It is important to make sure it is not loose or detached. If it is loose, it can cause tears or punctures in your roof during a windstorm. Also, your system may not be providing protection to your building occupants.
- Check Your Skylights: If you have skylights, you will need to make sure they are inspected regularly for defects in the seals. Also, make sure that they are securely placed and that there are no cracks in the plastic domes.
A key component to avoiding roof related problems is protection, which allows you to choose repair over replace in many instances. Your roof inspection schedule may depend on several factors: the age of the roof, the amount of rooftop foot traffic, hard weather conditions, and known needed repairs.
On average, regular roof inspections should take place every six months. If your roof is older or has other considerations, you should schedule your inspections to occur more frequently. Each roof inspection should include a repair plan for any potential trouble spots that are found.
There are several things to include in your regular roof maintenance. Loose objects and debris should be removed from the roof regularly. All nearby trees should be kept trimmed to keep any branches from rubbing the rooftop. All gutters and downspouts should be cleaned, kept free from debris, and have any blockages removed. Inspect your roof following any severe storms or high winds. This will alert you to any issues immediately. Any areas or previous repair should be re-inspected to ensure that the repair is holding up well.
Another reason why you need commercial roof maintenance and repair are hail and other severe storms that be particularly damaging to roofing materials. We recommend having your roof inspected following a hailstorm with stones larger than ¾ inch or if there was a lot of fallen debris in the area. We offer 24/7 emergency roof services, so feel free to contact us.
Final Notes on Inspection
In addition to checking for all of the above items, your inspection should include checking for any signs of previous leaks. All rooftop vents and equipment should be inspected to ensure they are all well sealed. Any gaps should be repaired should be sealed with flashing cement. Flashing that has deteriorated or vents that are loose should be replaced entirely.
Consider a Professional
If there are concerns about roof maintenance or repairs, it may be useful to consult with a professional, such as Absolute Commercial Roofing. A professional can help you determine how healthy your roof is and how long your roof should last. They can help you devise a repair plan and take care of any maintenance. Hiring a professional can help ensure that nothing gets missed and should help prolong the life of your commercial roof.
Things to Check When Using a Professional
Make sure the company you choose is licensed and bonded. Check references, particularly any commercial clients that are located in your area. Be sure that the company you choose is properly insured. Check your local Better Business Bureau for complaints. Obtain multiple bids and be sure that the bid is clear about what work will be done. Be sure to get any warranties and clear records of all work done on your commercial roof.
Now that you to know why you need commercial roof maintenance and repair, contact us at Absolute Commercial Roofing in Loveland. We can help you with any commercial roof maintenance and repair you may need, whether it’s an emergency situation or just an semi-annual checkup. We’ll address issues early before they affect your business.